Friday, August 23, 2019

Model Rocket Kid Build

The kids and I assembled the 3 clearance kits. I have kids from preK through to Middle School, so the level of involvement was varied.

The Spirit kit came with clay for the Nose Cone. I felt the other two kits were very light so I added some Sculpey clay to the those as well. I usually add a little superglue to hopefully secure the clay to the inside of the Nose Cone.



Then I helped the kids move the Shock Cord. It was secure on the inside of the tube with the pre assembled Launch Lugs. This placed it very close to the motor and my fear was that the Ejection Charge would melt it. I cut the cord flush with the inside of the barrel. Had the kids cut out long trapezoids from basic printer paper and helped them secure the Shock Cords to the Nose Cone end of the tube.



All set for Rocket Day tomorrow at Bond Park. I figure if we launch each rocket two times tomorrow (Dad has some rockets to launch as well, it's not all about the kids!) the total cost is about $10 per rocket which includes the kit, motors and recovery wadding.



Hopefully the rain and wind cooperates during our timeslot!

No comments:

Post a Comment